Just like the Body Shop, but without the chemicals!
Yield: approximately 6 x 120mL containers of creamy, natural body butter.
- 1 cup coconut oil, palm oil or any combination of solid butters and oils
- 1 cup liquid oils – use our pre-mixed Premium Massage Oil or any combination of your favorite oils such as avocado oil, grape seed oil, almond, olive, apricot kernel, etc
- 2 tbsp cocoa butter
- 1/3 cup beeswax
In a saucepan, melt the oils, beeswax and butters together until it reaches 130-140ºF.
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp Borax (from grocery store found in laundry isle)
In separate pan heat water and borax to 130-140ºF and stir till crystals dissolve. Slowly pour melted oil phase into water phase whisking or use stick blender. The mixture will immediately turn creamy and will thicken as it cools. Pour into containers before it thickens all the way. Keep in a cool, dry place. The shelf life is anywhere from 6 months to 2 years.
Containers: You can buy some 120mL plastic jars ideal for making and storing your body butter from us!
Essential Oils: Add your favourite essential oils (10-25 drops) if you want to keep it natural
- A mixture of frankincense, myrrh, and a few drops of tangerine or blood orange is wonderful for problem skin
- Patchouli is nice on the skin and has an earthy scent
- Relax: before bedtime moisturizer
- Lavender: dry skin
- Gentler Baby: for all ages
- CERMT: for trauma, stress and pain
Fragrance Oils: add your favourite fragrance oil – 1 tsp for whole batch, less if you are dividing the batch and want a few different scents. See our list of Fragrance Oils – they’re the best on the market! They are a little pricier than others but to the best of our knowledge, no one in 20 years has had a reaction to them. Since we no longer use them, we’ve put them on sale!
Colouring: Body butter can be coloured with food colouring, but remember it isn’t natural. 1-2 drops as you are blending the phases together.
Note: Best used within a few weeks of making as there are no preservatives. Can be kept in the refrigerator to extend shelf life.