This is one of the easiest body butters to make. It is a true “butter”. Creamy, light, nourishing. It goes on a bit greasy at first but absorbs quickly. In hot weather, leave in fridge as there are no stabilizers. No chemicals, no water, no preservatives, no colouring, no hard to find ingredients, and no emulsifiers needed.
This project is good for all ages. I did this project with my grandkids ages 2-9 with no problems at all. They were so excited, they couldn’t stop putting it on when we were done.
Bottom Line: Easy to find ingredients, inexpensive, easy and quick to make, safe, edible (small kids tend to try), don’t need special equipment. Makes awesome gifts
- 1 cup hard oils: shea butter, cocoa butter, palm oil, coconut oil, mango butter, etc.
- 3/4 cup liquid oils: use our pre-mixed Premium Massage Oil or any combination of olive oil, sweet almond, apricot oil, jojoba, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, etc.
- 5-10 drops of essential oil or fragrance oil of choice
- NOTE: food colouring (or other water-based colouring) will not work for this oil-based recipe
Essential Oil Suggestions:
- Peppermint by itself to invigorate OR add cocoa powder (1/4 – 1/2 tsp) to make a “Peppermint Paddy” blend!
- A mixture of frankincense, myrrh, and a few drops of tangerine or blood orange is wonderful for problem skin
- Patchouli is nice on the skin and has an earthy scent
- Relax: to help de-stress / before bedtime
- Lavender: dry skin / calming
- Gentler Baby: for all ages
- Joyful: for fun
- 4 Thieves: cold and flu season
- Black Spruce / Juniper / Balsam Fir for outdoor set
- Peppermint + Eucalyptus + Camphor: as a chest rub – this is a great blend for opening up sinuses and chest
- Grapefruit / other citrus oils / Sunshine Spice for cheer
- Warning: Citrus oils can be used but are best when blended with another oil. Use sparingly as they are photosensitizing.
Fragrance Oil Suggestions:
- Floral scents like Magnolia, Lilac, and Rose Damask
- Blending sweet and fruity scents like Mango, Coconut, Vanilla, Cranberry, Acaï, etc.
- Place 1 cup hard oil(s) in sauce pan and melt
- Add 3/4 cup of liquid oil(s) to sauce pan and stir
- When completely melted and combined, add scent if desired
- Cool in fridge until almost hard
- Mash with fork and then use a stick blender / hand blender / electric stand mixer and whip until light and fluffy
- Fill containers of choice
- Store in cool, dry place. Refrigerate if weather is hot