Krazy Glue or Super Glue is made from a chemicals called cyanoacrylate (such as ethyl-2 cyanoacrylate and methyl-2 cyanoacrylate). Used for a variety of household applications, it is also used in the cosmetic industry to glue false nails in place.
Cyanoacrylates have been used to close wounds in the past. However, due to its potential to irritate the skin, a safer version called 2-Octylcyanoacrylate was created (commonly known as Dermabond). This is not quite the same thing as Krazy glue, but people get mixed up and think that they can safely glue their wounds.
Super Glue vs. Dermabond
Dermabond is produced under strict guidelines for use as a bandage or sutures/stitches. Super glue is NOT – it is made in industrial plants with additives and contamination. Any contaminant can quickly enter the blood stream when applied to cuts and cracked skin.
Cases of parents using Krazy glue on their children’s cuts (instead of stitches) have left permanent damage. I have also seen permanent damage done to the nail surface due to the use of Krazy glue and false nails. It can irritate skin, kill cells and aggravate infections.
So, STOP using Krazy/Super glue! There are so many safer products to use. You may have gotten away with it in the past, but why take a chance? For cuts, use Dermabond. For cracked feet, heels, fingers and cuticles, address the problem! Super glue may close the wound, but will actually contribute to further dryness and cracking. There are some great products out there that are natural and healthy for your skin and body, help with healing AND restoring moisture.
Damage Control: A Safe, Natural Alternative
Our Damage Control healing salve is one great option, especially for cracked skin. It is designed to quickly heal (3 days), take away the pain, protect from infection and restore elasticity to your skin so that they stop cracking.
- Safe for children, babies, and animals
- No chemicals
- Fair trade shea butter, which helps support women and children in Ghana
- Fair trade Tamanu, which helps support villages
- Local beeswax which helps support local farmers
- Small farm, pure essential oils from around the world (tested for purity and quality)
- Researched, developed and made this by hand in our lab in Red Deer, AB
- Money back guarantee
- Inexpensive (a little goes a long way!)
- Works on the worst hands like nurses, mechanics, painters, farmers… Super glue and Krazy glue don’t do any of those things. The amount you apply is the same amount that you would use if applying Krazy glue. A minute amount goes a long way.