It’s that time of year and pumpkins everywhere! They are cheap, easy to find and easy to prepare.
Pumpkin is packed with Vitamin A – one serving contains 170% of your daily requirement! Vitamin A is an anti oxidant and is important for vision, the immune system, heart, lungs, and kidneys. It is also amazing for the skin. Retinol, found in many skin care products, is a form of Vitamin A.
The wonderful pumpkin also contains a healthy dose of Vitamin C and alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) which help stimulate new cell growth, reduces wrinkle, smooths and brightens dry, dull skin. So when you are out buying a pumpkin for fall decoration, buy one for yourself as well!
How To Cook a Pumpkin:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Carefully cut pumpkin in half. Scoop out seeds. (You can wash the seeds, sprinkle with olive oil, salt and or spices and roast in oven if you like!)
- Place on cookie sheet (with sides) or large roasting pan hollow side down. Add 1/2 cup water to pot or cookie sheet.
- Place in oven and roast for 1-2 hours depending on size of pumpkin. Once it is tender, take out and let cool.
- Scoop out the insides, leaving the tough skin. (Throw skin into garden or compost.)
- Keep 1/2 cup of the cooked pumpkin for your face mask recipe. Excess can be frozen for later use 🙂
Pumpkin Face Mask Recipe
What you need:
- 1/2 cup cooked pumpkin or 1/2 cp canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1-2 drops any of the following: frankincense, myrrh, geranium or patchouli essential oil
- Options: add one or two of the following as an option:
- 1 tbsp yogurt: slightly astringent, great for oily skin
- 1 tbsp powdered clay: draws impurities and detoxifies skin
- 1 tbsp oatmeal: soothing
- 1 tsp Shea butter: restores elasticity
- 1 tsp Olive oil: adds moisture
- 1 tsp Avocado oil: for mature dry skin
- 1 tsp Jojoba: similar to skins own sebum
- 1/2 tsp Tamanu: healing for scars and acne
- Mash cooked pumpkin or use stick blender to puree.
- Add other ingredients.
- Patch test on crook of arm for 5-10 minutes first to make sure your skin can handle AHA’s. If there is no reaction, you are safe to use on face.
- Can be warmed slightly and then apply to face.
- Spread evenly on face and neck. Leave for 5-10 minutes and gently wash off.