- Antioxidant potential of bark extracts from boreal forest conifers J Legault, K Girard-Lalancette, D Dufour, A Pichette – Antioxidants, 2013 – mdpi.com… and rheumatoid arthritis [1,2,3,4,5,6]. However, bark was mainly used for cough relief [1,2,7]. Moreover, some species were used as an expectorant to treat … In 2009, Diouf et al., reported antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of hot water extract from Picea mariana bark ….
- Picea mariana bark: A new source of trans-resveratrol and other bioactive polyphenols ME García-Pérez, M Royer, G Herbette, Y Desjardins… – Food chemistry, 2012 – Elsevier … Abstract. ….. has been demonstrated to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- Antioxidant, toxicological and antiproliferative properties of Canadian polyphenolic extracts on normal and psoriatic keratinocytes ME García-Pérez, M Royer, A Duque-Fernandez… – Journal of …, 2010 – Elsevier
- Treatment of erectile dysfunction with pycnogenol and L-arginine. Stanislavov R1, Nikolova V
- Phytother Res. 2001 May;15(3):219-23. Treatment of vascular retinopathies with Pycnogenol. Spadea L1, Balestrazzi E. Abstract The aim of our study was to investigate the effects of Pycnogenol on the progression of diabetic retinopathy and other vascular retinal disorders.
- Antidiabetic effect of Pycnogenol® French maritime pine bark extract in patients with diabetes type II Ximing Liua, Junping Weia, Fengsen Tanb, Shengming Zhouc, Gudrun Würthweind, Peter Rohdewalde
- Pinosylvin-mediated protection against oxidative stress in human retinal pigment epithelial cells.
Koskela A1, Reinisalo M1, Hyttinen JM2, Kaarniranta K3, Karjalainen Ro4. In this work, we investigated the ability of a stilbenoid polyphenol…bioactive compound for health-promoting applications. CONCLUSIONS:… Consequently, PS-stilbene compounds…may possess health-promoting properties against aging-related diseases associated with oxidative stress such as age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and Alzheimer’s disease. ..
- Nutr Res. 2008 May;28(5):315-20. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2008.03.003.
Reduction of cardiovascular risk factors in subjects with type 2 diabetes by Pycnogenol supplementation. Zibadi S1, Rohdewald PJ, Park D, Watson RR. Patients with type 2 diabetes are at considerable risk of excessive morbidity and mortality from cardiovascular disease (CVD). We investigated the clinical effectiveness of Pycnogenol, in reducing antihypertensive medication use and CVD risk factors in subjects with type 2 diabetes
- Picea mariana polyphenolic extract inhibits phlogogenic mediators produced by TNF-α-activated psoriatic keratinocytes: Impact on NF-κB pathway ☆ Martha-Estrella García-Péreza, b, c, 1, Isabelle Allaeysa, Daniel Rusua, Roxane Pouliotc, Tatjana Stevanovic Janezicb, Patrice E. Poubellea,
- Inhibition of insect glutathione S-transferase (GST) by conifer extracts (insecticidal) Wang Z1, Zhao Z, Abou-Zaid MM, Arnason JT, Liu R, Walshe-Roussel B, Waye A, Liu S, Saleem A, Cáceres LA, Wei Q, Scott IM. The results suggested that these compounds can be considered as potential new insecticide synergists.
Black Spruce Oil
CAD $27.50 – CAD $51.50
Name: Black Spruce Oil
Species: Picea mariana
Method: Steam Distillation
Traditional uses: North American native population used it for healing wounds, expectorant, coughs and colds, muscle pain, arthritis, as well as purifying rituals and treatment of diabetes. It has traditionally been used to treat gingivitis in Europe.
Thought to be: anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antidiabetic
A warmer, softer oil than most of the evergreen family, it has a hint of sweetness to it. I personally love to mix it with our Sunshine spice blend for diffusing while working at my computer or driving. It is a refreshing happy mix. Unfortunately there is only a small body of scientific evidence based studies on black spruce of any kind despite traditional uses by the North American native population for a vast collection of uses including diabetes. Since the finding of polyphenols, specifically resveratrol and pycnogenol in spruce bark, this may change. There is a large amount of studies on resveratrol and pycnogenol which could lead to utilizing black spruce as a source of these important polyphenols. There has been some promising research using black spruce as a natural treatment for psoriasis and diabetes as well as eye sight improvement in diabetics. I have included a few research papers on Resveratrol and pycnogenol. I did find a patent application using a blend of black spruce for erectile dysfunction and some testing but I am not advocating this treatment without more documentation and testing.
- Massage oil: 2.5-5% dilution 15-20 drops/ 30ml of carrier oil such as fractionated coconut, sunflower, etc.
- Diffuser: 5-6 drops in water.
- Baths: add 2-12 drops into tsp of honey, milk or carrier oil and/or add to epsom or Dead Sea salt then into bath water.
- Lotion or Shampoo: add 15-20 drops /30 mLs of unscented base
- Sauna: add 5-6 drops
Components (<2% each):
- bornyl acetate
Blends well with: Frankincense, firs, grapefruit, citrus, bergamot, eucalyptus and rosemary
|Dimensions||2.8 × 2.8 × 6.7 cm|