CAD $5.75 – CAD $8.75
Species: Amyris balsamifera L., fam. Rutaceae
Part used: Wood
Method: Steam Distillation
Traditional uses: as perfume, inexpensive substitute for sandalwood, meditation
Thought to be: antiseptic, sedative, insecticidal
A thick brownish-yellow liquid that is sometimes referred to as West Indian Sandalwood. The scent is woody and sweet with a hint of vanilla. Although the scent is different, it is sometimes used as a low-cost alternative to Sandalwood. Amyris is used in the fragrance industry to adulterate expensive Vetiver and Indian Sandalwood. It is mainly used in perfumes, soaps, cosmetics and is thought to help with skin regeneration. It is also used in incense as a meditation aid as it is known to be calming and helps to relax muscle tension.
Safety and drug interactions: appears to be non-toxic
Ways to use:
- Massage oil: 2.5-5% dilution 15-20 drops/ 30ml of carrier oil such as fractionated coconut, sunflower, etc.
- Diffuser: DO NOT USE IN DIFFUSER, this oil will gum up the ionizer plate.
- Baths: add 2-12 drops into tsp of honey, milk or carrier oil. This can then be added to bath or blended into epsom salts or Dead Sea salt, then into bath water.
- Lotion or shampoo: add 15-20 drops /30 mls of unscented base/lotion.
- Valerianol (25.31%)
- beta-Eudesmol (15.56%)
- Elemol (9.11%)
- 10-epi-gamma-Eudesmol (8.02%)
- gamma-Eudesmol (7.95%)
- 7-epi-alpha-Eudesmol (7.01%)
- beta-Sesquiphellandrene (3.39%)
- Selina-3,7(11)-diene (2.46%)
- epi-alpha-Selinene (2.04%)
- Drimenol (1.75%)
- beta-Agarofuran, dihydro- (1.51%)
- alpha-Eudesmol (1.48%)
- alpha-Agarofuran, dihydro- (1.30%)
- ar-Curcumene (1.20%)
- alpha-Acoradiene (1.12%)
- delta-Selinene (0.61%)
- alpha-Agarofuran (0.55%)
- Valencene (0.53%)
- (6R,7R)-Bisabolone (0.43%)
- (6S,7R)-Bisabolone (0.32%)
- (E)-Nerolidol (0.25%)
Blends well with: Geranium, Lavandin, Lavender, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang
View Essential Oil FAQ, Contraindications, and other information HERE.
NOTE: We are discontinuing this essential oil, so get yours at 50% off while you still can!