Who knew guacamole was an immune booster? Avocados, garlic, tomatoes, and citrus all contain nutrients necessary for your immune system, making it a great functional food! I used to buy the guacamole mixes in the store until a friend showed me how easy it is to make from scratch – in 5 minutes, you can have some delicious, immune-boosting guacamole!
- 1 ripe avocado (dark in colour and starting to soften)
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chipped tomato (or quartered grape tomatoes)
- pinch of Himalayan salt (regular salt will do)
- juice from 1/2 fresh lime (or lemon)
- Cut avocado in half, using a sharp knife and slicing around the pit until it is cut in half from top to bottom. Gently twist the two halves of the avocado until it comes apart. Remove the pit, then scoop the avocado into a bowl.
- Mash the avocado with a fork, adding the lime (or lemon) juice and minced garlic
- Dice tomato and stir into avocado mixture
- Add salt to taste
Don’t just serve it with nachos, get creative! Add it to sandwiches, especially chicken, fajitas, wraps, quiche, eggs, taco salads, shrimp, and more.
- Avocados contain more than 20 vitamins and minerals, including vitamins C, E, K, and several B vitamins. They also contain magnesium, potassium, lutein, beta carotene, omega 3 and other healthy fats. These healthy fats help control your appetite, stabilize blood sugars, and absorb fat-soluble nutrients!
- Fresh lime or lemon contain vitamin C, an antioxidant and immune boosting nutrient
- Fresh garlic contains an immune boosting component called allicin
- Tomatoes contain vitamin C, potassium, and vitamin B9 – three very important nutrients for optimal health