This is a make-it-yourself recipe for the hugely popular Lush shower jelly. It is easy to make and clean up, inexpensive, no complicated ingredients, and fun! Lots of options for any age – not just kids! I found it to be a great project to do with my grandkids ages 2-9. They chose the scent they wanted and the colour they wanted. I had some Castille liquid soap hanging around the shop and decided to use it for this project. Unfortunately, it’s a pale yellow so our blue became green. The only other problem was that the kids had a hard time waiting for the soap to harden. They kept putting their fingers in the molds to see if they were ready. You might want to do this as a bedtime activity so that in the morning, they can unmold.
- 2 packets of Knox Unflavored Gelatine
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup unscented liquid soap or shower gel (clear with no color if you want to color them yourself)
- 3-5 drops essential oil or fragrance oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Something to use as a mold: silicon molds, mini yogurt contains, other flexible molds. You can even use sandwich containers and then cut into squares once it is set.
- 2-3 drops natural color or food colouring
- body safe glitter
- silk flowers
- small plastic animals, fish, dinosaurs, etc
In a saucepan, melt the oils, beeswax and butters together until it reaches 130-140ºF.
- Mix gelatine and boiling water in measuring cup.
- Add liquid soap and mix well.
- Mix in salt, colour and scent and optional glitter.
- Place optional flowers or toys into molds.
- Pour the liquid mixture into mold.
- Place in fridge till firm.
- Place in container in bathroom.
- Peppermint to invigorate
- Eucalyptus for colds
- 4 Thieves for cold and flu season
- Black Spruce or Balsam Fir for a nice, clean, outdoorsy scent
- Lavender for calming
- Relax for de-stressing
- Jester for fun
- Gentler Baby for children and bedtime
- Grapefruit / other citrus / Sunshine Spice for cheer
- Warning: Citrus oils can be used but are best when blended with another oil. Use sparingly as they are photosensitizing.
- See our list of Fragrance Oils – they’re the best on the market! They are a little pricier than others but to the best of our knowledge, no one in 20 years has had a reaction to them